Friday, 26 August 2016

Relevance of Programming_Mudit Verma



Table of Contents
1.   What is Programming…….2
2.   This was an evolution!.......4
3.   The Dark and Good side of Programming…….6
4.   Opinion Poll…….10
5.   Developments: The New Tomorrow!.......13
6.   Glossary and References…….14























What is Programming?
Have you ever asked yourself this question: What is Programming? For some people, it is a tool used to make games, a deadly weapon used to launch missiles, an essential part of a computer, but it is actually an everyday language! It is just like any language from English to Urdu, but as soon as you understand it, you will understand how technology is created and maybe become the next Steve Jobs or Bill Gates! But the first step to learn programming is to understand the relevance of it. So now I’m going to be talking about the “Relevance of Programming”!
Did you know that almost everything around us is made using programming and wouldn’t function without it? Did you even think that something as simple as a Fitbit watch requires at least a thousand lines of coding to work? Well, this is how programming helps us in a zillion ways. It helps us to heat and cool things, wake us up in the morning and also watch T.V! What I’m trying to say is that most of the things around us wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for Programming! These are some of the reasons why I’m going to be explaining the relevance of programming. But there is also a dark side so I’ll be elaborating on that too. Finally, I’ll be taking an Opinion Poll and giving you an update on the Developments. For now, let me give you a brief of its existence.
Most of the people think that some person like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates came along and invented coding but a majority of them don’t even care about it. “That,” I quote from the lines of Whiplash “I think is an absolute tragedy.” The fact that its origin is so exciting that once you read about it you would want to go deeper into programming! But alas, some people just want to sit back and enjoy life as it is. Let’s get up and look at the amazing origin of programming!
























                                                                                                                                                                    

This was an evolution!
Origin
Everybody knows that there is the computer and the Internet, which are the two most amazing and spectacular inventions of this era, but… does anybody actually know or care about who invented these things and how? Well then, let us explore this unknown world of inventors lurking in the shadows. Firstly, let me answer a common question which I think you all have: How did all this programming and technology come into existence? How? The answer is innovative teamwork and by that I mean amazing, creative people “come” together and “combine” ideas to create something spectacular, not that individual people just create something and boast about it. However, in some cases like the origin of programming only one person put himself out there and that person was Charles Babbage!
The Unknown Inventor
I know what you are thinking. You’re going like “What? Who is Charles Babbage?!!!” Charles Babbage was the first and one of the most “innovative” contributors to programming! His first creation, the Analytic Engine was a big hit with the help of Countess Ada Lovelace who set him on the right track by fixing a major problem with the machine. The problem was nothing inside the machine, but its publicity. Everybody thought Charles Babbage was crazy, but after Ada Lovelace published numerous articles, even an article that published Charles Babbage’s notes, many people came ad saw how that brilliant machine worked! The history of programming is too vast to explain fully, so now let me move on to the different sides of programming!




















The Dark and Good Side of Programming
Makers and Hackers
Till now I have explained all the “good” things of programming but alas, it also has a bad side so I’ll be explaining that in this chapter. There are two types of programmers, Makers and Hackers. Both of them serve a part in the digital world. And whatever you’ve seen on T.V, exclude it from this topic because what I’m going to tell you is way different from what you know. Makers like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates start out as underdogs, completely new to everything but as they progress and understand more they create spectacular things along with the help of many people. Hackers also start out as underdogs but too soon most of them get grasped by the dark side and begin to do not-so-good things. But the survivors …oh! They did incredible things.
Good Side of Hacking
Hacking is not necessarily a bad thing. It can also be a very useful tool to create something “innovative”! For example, in 1962, Steve Russel and his team of hackers developed a hack subculture as well as a game called Spacewar. It all started when a geeky student of programming came up with a club at school which got so famous that it shifted to the place where the radar was first developed! The best programmer of the bunch was Steve Russel because he was well-experienced and was also helping Professor McCarthy to create the language: - LISP. But sadly, there are bad things which have happened all because of programming and hacking!
Bad Things That Have Happened
Very recently a group of hackers hacked Gmail accounts of celebrities and it’s all over the news!! This incident gave me a warning of sense of security and also renewed my faith in the fact that terrible things could happen through hacking. It also helped resist my temptation of learning how to hack. Actually, Gmail got indirectly motivated to create a better, safer website so that nobody could hack it now! So as soon as you open up your Gmail it gets upgraded and asks you this question “Is your account safe enough? Check your contacts.” This gave Gmail a boost in its development even though it was a dark time. But enough of mine and the whole world’s opinion. Let’s zoom in and have a closer look at some people’s opinions.









Opinion Poll
Come, take your magnifying glass and let’s explore the opinions of some programmers!
My opinion first
To begin with, let’s start with my opinion first. I think that the existence of programming is beginning to fade and that’s a very bad thing. This is happening because… firstly, most people are not aware that most of the things around them is made through programming and coding. “That” I again quote from the lines of Whiplash “I think is an absolute tragedy.” Secondly, there is a fact that out of 7 billion people, only about 1.5 to 2 billion people know how to program and actually make products. Thirdly, at present, companies are against each other which actually helps them create better products but the important collaboration “innovative teamwork” is not present. I bet if they came together they would be able to accomplish milestones which were and deemed impossible like A.I(Artificial Intelligence)!
Peer’s opinion
There are thousands of kids, thankfully, who are leaning how to program! There are some of the in my class and one has even got a national prize! I’m going to take a live interview in 3,2,1, now! :-
Aadi.K-It is really challenging but it can change our lives depending on how we use it. I think it is possible to make A.I possible because of all the research going towards it.
Keshav-It is a good thing, but if everybody learnt programming there is a high chance of dangerous things such as hacking happening.
Zahan-I think programming can help lives and helps to learn something new and fun. It will be a challenge but since it’s fun it won’t stress you out.
Professionals’ opinions
In the world there also many teens who have become professionals in programming. For me there have been two seniors who are professionals. Their opinions are: -
Prateek (Venturers Captain)-It’s sort of like a universal tool which you can use in any situation.
Tech Club Senior Founder- It’s a lifelong buddy which helps you create something new!










Developments: The New Tomorrow!!!
What’s going on
To end this feature article let me tell you and update you on developments in the programming industry. At present, programming is being used to create animal robots which can be used in the army to spy on their enemy camp!
My Dream of Developments
I want the world to be made cleaner and less polluted as well as maintain peace, all through programming.
Youngsters On the Road to Stardom
There are at least thousand youngsters who are professionals but Santiago Gonzalez, a 14-year old is the best professional because he is fluent in 12 programming languages and has developed more than 50 IOS apps. So if you want to become like him, start programming! It’s your choice not mine!









Glossary and References
Glossary
Innovative: - To introduce something new!
References
the Innovators written by Walter Isaacson
Python for Informatics written by Charles Severance





   

No comments:

Post a Comment