Sunday, 28 August 2016

Marvel vs. DC Comics by Shyam Patra



Marvel vs. DC

Marvel and DC Comics are the 2 most famous comic publishers of all time and have brought in nearly $50 billion combined since their creation in 1935 and 1934 respectively. They both have been immensely successful in the comic book and movie industry and are internationally loved by almost everyone. However, one question still remains. Which one is better? This is one of the most hotly debated topics ever and in my feature article, I will be reviewing all the factors and deciding which one is better.


What is Marvel?

Marvel Comics is an American publisher of comic books and related media (movies, TV shows). Marvel is one of the most popular comic book producers and has produced some of the most iconic villains and famous superheroes including Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man, The Hulk and many more.
Marvel has published over 32,000 comics since its origin and only its rival DC Comics has published more. However in terms of movies Marvel has an astounding 54 movies, the first being released in 1986 and 9 more upcoming movies.
Marvel has made over $21 billion in ticket sales alone and its main movies include The Avenger, Iron Man 3 and Spiderman 3.


DC Comics

DC Comics is another American comic book publisher similar to Marvel and was the first super-hero comic publisher starting in 1934. It has its fair share of famous characters like Superman, Batman, The Flash and Wonder Woman.
DC Comics have published a mind blowing 43,000 comics, a full 11,000 comic more than its rival Marvel, the first one being published in 1936 and is releasing more and more everyday just like Marvel.
In the movie department, DC has produced 47 movies including Man of Steel, The Dark Knight and Green Lantern. DC has made $22 billion from movies and is overall the most successful comic publisher of all time.


Comics
Marvel and DC Comics have produced over 75,000 comics combined. I will be picking the top 3 comics from each and at the end will decide which one is better.
Marvel:
1. Infinity Gauntlet-
This comic told the story of Thanos having gathered all six Infinity Gems, placing them into his gauntlet and using them to become a godlike being. What was his goal? To end all life in the universe. This is easily one of my favorite comics of all time. The action and mystery in the novel is great and overall I give it a 9/10.




2. Dark Phoenix Saga-
Dark Phoenix Saga is the comic that contains the X-men (a bunch of supernatural characters) and is so good, that it is going to be the plot for an upcoming movie. Wolverine and Cyclops play a main part in the comic and overall it is one of my favorite Marvel Comics. I rate it 9/10.

3. Civil War-
This comic was loved so much by Marvel that they turned it into a blockbuster movie. This comic tells the tale of Captain America and Iron-Man going head to head. I rate it 8.5/10.


DC:
1. Titans-
After a former ally returns to the team, the Titans set their sights on a dangerous enemy with the power to change reality itself! The Titans have never faced someone so powerful and it will take everything. At nearly 150 pages it is a bit tedious. I rate it 9/10.

2. Suicide Squad: Rebirth-
Suicide Squad is an immensely popular book and has even been made into a movie. The characters are well thought out and overall I give it a 9/10.

3. The Flash 3-
In this issue dozens of innocent people have gained super-speed from the flash! However, not all of them are heroic. This issue is action-packed and is full of plot twists and suspense. The ending was a bit disappointing, so I give it a 9/10.

Total Scores-
Marvel- 26.5/30
DC-27/30
DC just edges Marvel on this one because of their design, character and plots. I highly recommend all the comics I have listed above.





Movies
DC and Marvel are also famous for making some of the best movies ever. I will be taking the top 3 movies and will rate them out of 10. At the end I will decide a winner.
Marvel:
1. The Avengers-
The Avengers is one of the most successful Marvel movies ever bringing in $2 billion. Its intense action and amazing special effects making it a fans favorite. I give it a 10/10
2. Spider Man 2-
Movie sequels are almost never better than the original.  However Spider man 2 begs to differ. It was released in 2004 and raised $1.2 billion in ticket sales. It includes the witty humor we know and love from Spiderman as well as plenty of action. I give it a 9/10.
3. Iron Man-
Iron Man is the model superhero movie. It has action, suspense, but is lacking a bit in the humor department. I give it a 9/10.

DC:
1. The Dark Knight:
It had first hit the screens in 2008 and was an instant hit bringing in $2.4 billion. Christopher Nolan (who was the director) invented a new type of superhero movie – a dark, realistic crime thriller steeped in the worlds of Batman and Joker, with a plot involving the 9/11 aftermath. Overall I rate it 10/10.
2. Superman:
A perfect mix of serious and funny, this Superman movie credibly brought Superman into the world of superheroes and was a huge hit. No actor has been able to top Christopher Reeves take on the man from Crypton, which balanced action and humor. However, since it was made in 1980 its special effects aren’t great, therefore I rate it 8.5/10
3. Batman Begins:
Christopher Nolan wasn’t a household name yet when Warner Bros hired him to reignite a franchise that hit rock bottom 2000 with Batman and Robin. What he created was a gritty origin story of Batman defying expectations while channeling the haunting world of classic Batman. Overall I give it an 8.5/10.
Total Scores-
Marvel- 28/30
DC- 27/30
Overall I think Marvel makes the better movies, thought it was a close call and I can’t wait to see the upcoming Marvel and Dc movies.


A different perspective

While writing this article I thought that I could include other people’s opinion on which they preferred Marvel or DC and put it together.
Out of the 30 people I asked 53% of the people preferred Marvel and the other 47% DC.


My Final Thoughts

Overall, I think DC and Marvel are both incredible comic publishers. I took into account all the tiny details of the comics and movies. So here are three reasons why I prefer Marvel to DC:
1. The characters are relatable:
The majority of marvel characters are human like Iron Man, Captain America and Spider Man- they are all inherently human and are easy to relate to. The same can’t be said for DC.
2. DC characters are killed too easily: Marvel and DC both have a habit of killing off their characters. However DC insists on killing off even invincible heroes. Them dying really defeats the purpose of them being invincible.
3. The heroes make Marvel, not the villains: Some of Marvels most iconic characters are heroes- Captain America, Spider Man and Hulk are Marvel’s most famous characters. For DC the Joker, Bane, Lex, etc. are the ones you think of. They are great characters, but I think the heroes should be given the most prominence in a comic.






No comments:

Post a Comment